[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu without booting into X

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat May 2 09:18:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 05:34:54PM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> I startx as a regular user. And then if I run Synaptic, for example, I
> am unable to add/remove packages - no password requester pops up, so I
> never get sudo.

Oh interesting.  The way to do this, then, might be to run Synaptic under
sudo to begin with.  Not familiar with Synaptic, or the proper way to do
this, so I'll let others answer.

(On KDE, I used 'kdesudo' to bring up a sudo PW prompt dialog to run
the shell script I wrote that mucks with 'modprobe' to get my cell modem
to work.)

> But if I start X through gdm, everything works normally,
> except that gdm is then runnning so I can't log out of X back to the
> same text-only session I had before.

There's a well-known trick to jump between X and your text consoles.