[NBLUG/talk] grub conflicts with installed packages?

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Thu Apr 22 12:35:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:28:21 -0700, "Kyle Rankin" said:

> What you are seeing is the change from grub to grub2 on new (9.10 and
> above) Ubuntu installs. Your best bet is to boot the live CD into its
> "rescue mode" and you should see an option to restore the boot loader
> IIRC.

Yes, it's 9.10

Thanks for the info about grub2, had not heard about it.

Rescue mode did give me an option to install GRUB but it wants to do the
full monty on both drives including putting stuff in /boot

Way too much, way too dangerous. I do not want to write to my "still
working" drive.

I'll read up on grub2 and see if I can find the command I need.

Otherwise I might try using dd to copy just a bit of the boot sector
from one drive to the other and see if that works.

Cheerful regards,

Bob