[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 10.04 services failing to start

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Aug 10 23:08:24 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:00:02PM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> Anyone else seeing 10.04 randomly not start some services at boot time?
>
> Because my computer, which only gets rebooted every few weeks, today
> failed to start smbd, cron and also ignored my iptables-restore line in
> the interfaces file.
>
> Maybe it tried to start them too soon or in the wrong order and they
> failed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheerful regards,
>
> Bob
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
>                           or over the web

With 10.04 all the core services should be fully managed by upstart. You
may see a few stub entries in /etc/init.d for some of those services but
they are just pointers to the new upstart script. This is even moving into
some of the non-core services such as smbd. Where previously you'd see an
init script for it in /etc/init.d/samba that would control smbd and nmbd
together, now they are split off into separate upstart scripts in
/etc/init/smbd and /etc/init/nmbd, respectively.

I'd have to look at the upstart scripts to confirm, however I'd bet they
are triggered by some other network service completing. It's possible if
for some reason your network isn't starting properly at boot time that
other services that rely on that network script would also fail.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org