[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 10.04 services failing to start

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Wed Aug 11 15:12:43 PDT 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:08:24 -0700, "Kyle Rankin"  said:

> With 10.04 all the core services should be fully managed by upstart. You
> may see a few stub entries in /etc/init.d for some of those services but
> they are just pointers to the new upstart script. This is even moving
> into
> some of the non-core services such as smbd. Where previously you'd see an
> init script for it in /etc/init.d/samba that would control smbd and nmbd
> together, now they are split off into separate upstart scripts in
> /etc/init/smbd and /etc/init/nmbd, respectively.

Yes, it adds an extra several layers of obscurity. I really don't
understand why they left init.d as it just confuses people. Better to
have done away with it altogether since Ubuntu is sort of a world unto
itself anyway. For the people that use Ubuntu and also compile programs
they get off the net from source they could make a perl script that
converts old-style S and K style init scripts into upstart scripts.

> I'd have to look at the upstart scripts to confirm, however I'd bet they
> are triggered by some other network service completing. It's possible if
> for some reason your network isn't starting properly at boot time that
> other services that rely on that network script would also fail.

cron? That seems way too essential to make it that fragile. Also, this
morning when I went to print I found that cupsd hadn't started either.
Something is rotten in this 10.04 release.

Here's the cron script:
bob at fs:/etc/init$ more cron.conf
# cron - regular background program processing daemon
#
# cron is a standard UNIX program that runs user-specified programs at
# periodic scheduled times

description     "regular background program processing daemon"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

expect fork
respawn