[NBLUG/talk] WUBI-installed Ubuntu damaged by automatic updates

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Mon Dec 6 15:22:48 PST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:01:38 -0800, "T" said:
> I dual boot as well; however, I am using grub and only grub to boot.
> Neither of my os'es conflict with eachother when they update, cept
> 10.04->10.10 killing itself, but not windows. I say just use grub!

That is OK until you want to remove Linux from the drive and you have no
copy of the original MBR. This is a laptop with no floppy and no CD, so
the Windows recovery console or ultimate boot cd are not easy options to
fix the MBR. It also has a 1.8 inch PATA hard disk so none of the
standard adapters plug into it. WUBI has been a great way to dual-boot
for me on this laptop without worrying that I will be stuck with GRUB
when I eventually get rid of the laptop or need to recoup hard drive
space by going back to one partition.

And using virtual machines wasn't the joy I'd hoped. I got tired of
reinstalling the guest additions every week when a new kernel update
killed them. Plus the machine is like a little blow dryer when it's
running a virtual OS.

So if I just figure out which checkboxes to uncheck during updates I
think my problems will be solved :)

Friendly regards,

Bob