[NBLUG/talk] WUBI-installed Ubuntu damaged by automatic updates

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Mon Dec 6 15:46:27 PST 2010

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:25:02 -0800, jezra said:

> Is it possible that grub was updated to grub2 or grub-pc? From what I
> have read, this can cause
> problems with WUBI.

I think it already has grub2 in all versions of Ubuntu 10.04. The only
reference on the web I can see to the problem I have is this:

"Side note:
On both computers, Wubi would not start upon reboot after completion of
updates. When I clicked on Ubuntu under the Windows Boot Manager, both
computers rebooted. (This is totally unrelated to the MBR issue). To fix
I had to boot each wubi install from a grub command line (from a direct
ubuntu install), and then run "sudo update-grub", after which I was able
to boot normally into the wubi install using the Windows Boot Manager.
I'm not sure how a user with just wubi would do this!? Chroot from a
live CD!?"

So maybe if I did not reboot after doing updates, but did run
update-grub before rebooting, it might work. I would think that after a
kernel and grub update the machine would automatically run update-grub,
but perhaps there is a bug if WUBI is installed and it doesn't do it.
Still too sketchy for me to want to try it :(

Cheerful regards,

Bob

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html