[NBLUG/talk] How to access my home computer remotely

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 17:39:25 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Roger House <rhouse at sonic.net> wrote:

> I use Comcast with a cable modem and a router.  I know the router
> provides a local IP address for the home computer, but it seems that the
> remote computer needs more than this.

I haven't done this in a -long- time, so I'll leave the details to someone
else, but no, you don't use the local address of the computer.  You use the
address that Comcast gives the router.  Then when you open up the port on
the router (which one depends on how you're connecting) you tell the router
to pass requests on that port along to your computer's -local- address.
Since you're using an address that Comcast can change any time you reboot
your router, be sure to check if it has changed whenever you do that or have
a power outage.  -Usually- Comcast will reuse the same address anyway, but
it's not guaranteed.  You also have to tell your router to assign a fixed
address to your computer so -that- doesn't change.

Since you're going to be doing a bunch of things to your router let us know
what kind it is unless you already know how to work with it.  They're all
(in my limited experience) a bit different.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.