[NBLUG/talk] Problems booting Ubuntu 10.04

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Thu Jun 3 23:16:01 PDT 2010

I have a machine on which I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04.  After
installing, I applied all of the outstanding maintenance.  The machine
booted successfully once after that.  Now, the machine fails to boot
every time.  With previous versions of Ubuntu, I've had similar
problems, and the fix was to add "rootdelay=130" to the kernel entry in
the grub menu.  Unfortunately, the grub menu no longer appears; pressing
the ESC key has no effect.

Any words of advice someone can share about how I can approach solving
this problem?  Can I boot from my installation CD and edit the menu.lst
file that exists on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance....Steve