[NBLUG/talk] substituting DHCP/DNS in cheap routers

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Dec 30 14:56:04 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:20:56PM -0800, Bob Blick wrote:
> At work we switched to Sonic.net's Fusion and had to get a more modern
> DSL modem, opted for a combo modem/router/wifi from Netgear, a DGN1000.

That thing is fairly notorious for being an unreliable PoS.  See Amazon's
reviews for a nice sample.

You could try using another device to provide DHCP and NAT for your office
but if you continue to have issues I'd shitcan it and start with reliable
gear.  New hardware < salary.  I'm guessing you can't run a third party
firmware on that thing because of the DSL bridge but have you checked that
you're running the latest firmware from Netgear?  I'm sure Sonic.net would
have some suggestions for solid gear.

I personally find that an 8lb hammer is the perfect weight to send
that DGN1000 straight back to hell.

good luck!

-t