[NBLUG/talk] dd_rescue help

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Feb 16 12:03:53 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:51:30AM -0800, A.C. wrote:
[snip]
> I'm not up to speed on the latest tools (Kyle can probably chime in) but
> dd_rhelp may be a better tool for you as it will look at the areas that are
> readable first rather than wasting time on what can't be read.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> A.C.
> ******

[snip]

It's confusing but there are two rescue-focused dd tools, dd_rescue and the
GNU ddrescue. The former has the Ubuntu package ddrescue and the latter is
packaged as gddrescue. Other than the underscore, one big difference in the
two is the fact that the GNU ddrescue incorporates the auto-resume features
that you'd need something like dd_rhelp along with the traditional
dd_rescue to get. Check out the GNU ddrescue page at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

You'll find an online manual that will go over the options you'll want to
consider. I also wrote an article in Linux Journal on the subject some time
back and you can find that here:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10360

Good luck,

--