[NBLUG/talk] Power failure left me in a bad state

Roger House rhouse at sonic.net
Tue Jan 4 11:20:33 PST 2011

I had a power failure a short while ago, abruptly shutting down both my
old machine (running Ubuntu 9.04) and my
new machine (running 10.04).  Now, my old machine reboots okay (so far),
but my new machine does not.  Things
seem to proceed as normal until the purple screen with "ubuntu" in the
middle comes up.  There are 5 white dots
which each turn red in turn.  Then, nothing.  The purple screen with
"ubuntu" and 5 red dots just sits there.

It seems that for the most part Ubuntu is running on the new machine
because I can do the following:

    1.  ssh into the new machine from the old one.

    2.  On the new machine type "rseiub" while pressing Alt-SysRq.  This
allows me to select a
         "recovery mode" boot of Ubuntu, which allows me to login on the
command line.

The problem is this:  Once I'm logged into the new machine, I have no
idea what to look for to find out why it seems
to be stuck at the splash screen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Roger House