[NBLUG/talk] VMware - VSphere versus ESXi

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:53:24 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Mark Street <jet at sonic.net> wrote:
> I am looking at purchasing a couple of beefy Dell R610 servers to
> consolidate some of my legacy iron onto and start utilizing some cloud
> services and storage.
>
> I have been running VMware Server for years on CentOS (Dell PwrEdge 2970
> 2x2core AMD 2220, 16G RAM) with a small horde of VM's running just fine.

I haven't used VMWare Server myself, but some of my coworkers have
been using KVM on an IBM blade center for the last two(?) years, and
it seems to perform very nicely.  It's bundled into RHEL/CentOS 5.5
and later, but I'm sure it's also available for other distros.

I don't know the exact specs on the blades, but I'm pretty sure each
one is roughly equivalent to a Dell R610.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>