[NBLUG/talk] OLPC San Francisco Community Summit 2011

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Oct 9 11:11:38 PDT 2011

Hello!

The San Francisco volunteer community for One Laptop per Child project
(http://olpcsf.org) is hosting the OLPC San Francisco Community Summit
2011 at the SF State University Downtown Center in San Francisco, on
October 21,22 and 23. Registration is now open. Please pass this along
to anyone who may be interested. Space is limited! Hear from people
who work in the field on complex and complicated problems with
education, technology and social outreach. At 2.2+ million laptops in
40+ countries in 35+ languages the project is growing every day
addressing children and learning from the city of Birmingham, Alabama
to the steppes of Tuva (where's Tuva, you ask?
http://olpctuva.wordpress.com/). That's a whole lotta Tux, if you ask
me :-)

OLPC SF itself has fourteen projects with deployments in Afghanistan,
Armenia, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Madagascar, Pakistan,
Philippines, Senegal, South Africa, Uganda, Tuva, and San Francisco.
We put offline servers running on solar power in remote places to
serve Wikipedia, TED videos, Commons music, dictionaries, books, etc.
so that we can light a fire in different corners of the world [1] that
are not on the Internet as yet [2].

Come and be part of something tremendous! http://olpcsf.org/summit

cheers,
Sameer