[NBLUG/talk] substituting DHCP/DNS in cheap routers

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Jan 4 19:43:39 PST 2012

Agreed, many a horror story I have heard with the DSL modem crap foisted
on unsuspecting sheep out there.

Since you are dealing with the consumer based hardware you might want to
kick it up a notch and purchase your own device and install pfsense or
tomato for the WRTG.  The consumer based hardware just does not cut it
in a commercial environment.  Even the WRTG with Tomato is not strong
enough IMHO.

I like to build up the Soekris net 5501-70 -
http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html  - Very easy to install pfSense
2 (FreeBSD based).  Very very secure and functional, nice firewall/VPN,
DHCP box.  Solid as a rock.  These devices work well between your
network and the crappy cable modems/ DSL modems, they work great as VPN
endpoints and Dynamic DNS nodes.

The sledge to the DGN1000 sounds like sound advice.... or at least limit
it to a DSL modem endpoint.