[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04 dual monitor problems [not solved but working...]

s smith sjs at sonic.net
Sat May 26 13:37:08 PDT 2012

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the reply.  I got it working and the results are below.
Thanks for mentioning xorg.conf.  I copied the working 11.04 conf file
into the 12.04 directory and after doing the suitable goats entrails on
the keyboard at midnight etc... rebooted and it worked.  Miracles still
happen I guess :)  See below for other things I did first.

On 05/25/2012 05:11 PM, Christopher Wagner wrote:

> When you say the ATI drivers, where are you getting the drivers from
> (the AMD site or Ubuntu repositories) and are you getting some sort of
> error when you try to install (if so, what)? Also, sometimes I find
> that I need to shut down X and install the drivers from the command
> line when using the proprietary drivers.
In the system tools settings menu there is an 'unsupported drivers' item
that has (in my case) an ATI driver's section that has proprietary
drivers 'tested but not supported by Ubuntu.'  My computer is a little
HP they probably didn't hit this configuration in their testing.  I
already know it's power-supply limited and won't support another display
but don't care.  It's quad-core 64-bit 12Gb 1Tb system for $300.  I
bought it for compute power not display.

> My initial thought is that there's a syntax problem in the X config
> (perhaps a bug).. Is this a clean install?
yes.

> Could you reply and attach the xorg.conf file?
more below...

> I use dual monitors frequently in Linux, but almost always with nVidia
> cards and not with 12.04 yet, so I don't know how much I can help but
> I'm willing to try.

I have the log file and saw lots of debug warnings but no errors --
unless the last debug statement is the error.  The log file is
/var/log/jockey.log.  I attached the last few lines but will be more
than happy to send you the whole thing.
> - Chris

Out of curiosity I rebooted the live CD to do some testing.  I am able
to select the right configuration.  The live CD identifies the new
monitor correctly as an "AOC 23" where the install finds a "laptop."
Interestingly there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf on the live boot so they
are doing something entirely different for graphics on the live-CD.
This also means that just because you can configure your displays on the
live CD -- you can't assume things  will work when the system is
installed.  Also, the mouse on the live-cd didn't work correctly in
dual-monitor mode.

After copying the 11.04 conf file into the 12.04 /etc/X11 directory the
system still identified my new monitor as a laptop and I still had to go
through the configuration process -- but everything worked including my
wacom.  I still can't install the proprietary drivers though...

I have the working and non-working files and will be posting to the guys
with a problem.  If you want my files, please let me know.  I'll be more
than happy to send 'em.

Steve S.