[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu Video driver Resolution

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Oct 22 15:13:49 PDT 2012

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 14:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
Howard Schnirman <howardas at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I was lazy and just clicked the OK default to my Ubuntu 12.04 update manager. So it started downloading and installing around 750mb. Well it failed somewhere along the way. Afterwards I can only boot to recovery mode, and am stuck with a display size of 1280 x 720. My Dell S2330mx monitor is capable of 1920 X 1080.
>
> I'm running an Nvidia GTX 280 card. I tried unintalling through synaptic and reinstalling, and manually installing nvidia's proprietary driver. No luck yet. Any ideas before I decided to do a clean install. Sorry everthing's on one partition, so I'll have to reinstall my LAMP stack, Wordpress, phpmyadmin again.

<heavy bias>
Just by a laptop with an Intel gfx part and it'll work great with
Linux!
</heavy bias>

Sounds like you re-installed already, but I'd suspect an
incompatibility between the updated X server and/or kernel, plus
potential breakage in the GL install.  There are many moving parts
in the gfx stack, it's hard to track everything down, especially when
things like the nvidia driver overwrite distro stuff underneath the
packaging manager.

You could also try the open source nouveau driver at some point;
supposedly it's getting much better and may give you less trouble at
upgrade time (though at a potentially significant performance and power
cost).