[NBLUG/talk] Four possible solutions? (Dell OptiFlex 745)

Mr. Jan Hearthstone hearthstone11 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 15:55:39 PDT 2013

Four possible solutions?

1) Wait for the USB Ethernet adapter ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003VSTDFG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new ) that I ordered to arrive--it is supposed to be supported by Linux kernels => 3.3... a reason I installed the newest Antix that has the required kernel, as Debian stable and testing has < than 3.3... kernel.

2) Figure out how to supply the D-Link DWL-G122 with the drivers that Debian Wheezy installer asks for during the installation--I put the drivers on a USB stick, as the installer asks for, but nothing happens! The installer asks for the drivers again! ??

3) How should I supply the driver for the onboard, built in Ethernet controller ( Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit
Ethernet  )? Do I have to re-configure the kernel? (Goodness forbid!)

4) I found out that there is a USB connector on my cable modem. I connected it to the box, it gets recognized as eth1 during the installation process as such, but--again--how do I get the drivers installed? Kernel?

Any thoughts?

Thank you, Hearthstone.

---
"Designing the Earth Anew Together"
The book: http://tinyurl.com/knj2w3d
Free e-book:http://www.modelearth.org/5-5x8-5-toc-start-and-text-ebook-kindle-exper.pdf

Ecologically and Socially Sustainable Education:
Creating a Sustainable World.
http://www.modelearth.org/ecosocsused.html
If we, the people, were really sincere about having real Peace in the world,

we would pursue creating Peace by peaceful means more actively rather
than by
 relying on our military might!

>________________________________

 list submissions to
>    talk at nblug.org
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://nblug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/talk
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    talk-request at nblug.org
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>    talk-owner at nblug.org
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of talk digest..."
>

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. USB ethernet adapter for Dell Optiplex 745? (Mr. Jan Hearthstone)
>   2. Re: USB ethernet
 adapter for Dell Optiplex 745? (Zack Gold)

>Message: 1
>Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 14:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11 at yahoo.com>
>To: "talk at nblug.org" <talk at nblug.org>
>Subject: [NBLUG/talk] USB ethernet adapter for Dell Optiplex 745?
>
>I am having problems connecting with Ethernet on Dell Optiplex
 745 (onboard Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express) that Allan Cecil gave me--the light is steady amber when box plugged in, and stays so always. According to Internet search that might be common problem for Linux.

>Allan Cecil suggested USB ethernet adapters--I know nothing of those; would you, please give me some intelligence on this?
>
>I installed Mepis AntiX on the machine ...
>
>Thank you, Hearthstone.
>
>---
>"Designing the Earth Anew Together"
>The book: http://tinyurl.com/knj2w3d
>Free e-book: http://www.modelearth.org/5-5x8-5-toc-start-and-text-ebook-kindle-exper.pdf
>

>Ecologically and Socially Sustainable Education:
>Creating a Sustainable World.
>http://www.modelearth.org/ecosocsused.html
>

>If we, the people, were really sincere about having real Peace in the world,
>we would pursue creating Peace by peaceful means more actively rather
>than by relying on our military might!
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:05:06 -0700
>From: Zack Gold <zack at nblug.org>
>To: "Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11 at yahoo.com>, "General NBLUG
>    chatter about
 anything Linux, answers to questions, etc."
>    <talk at nblug.org>
>Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] USB ethernet adapter for Dell Optiplex 745?
>
>How about buying a new card? Replace the existing one with one off a
>computer retail store. Be sure that the card you buy is for PCI Express.
>
>On Friday, August 9, 2013, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
>
>> I am having problems connecting with Ethernet on Dell Optiplex 745
>> (onboard Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI
>> Express) that Allan Cecil gave me--the light is steady amber when box
>> plugged in, and stays so
 always. According to Internet search that might be
>> common problem for Linux.
>>
>> Allan Cecil suggested USB ethernet adapters--I know nothing of those;
>> would you, please give me some intelligence on this?
>>
>> I installed Mepis AntiX on the machine ...
>>
>> Thank you, Hearthstone.
>> ---
>> "Designing the Earth Anew Together"
>> The book: http://tinyurl.com/knj2w3d
>> Free e-book:
>> http://www.modelearth.org/5-5x8-5-toc-start-and-text-ebook-kindle-exper.pdf
>>

>> Ecologically and Socially Sustainable Education:
>> Creating a Sustainable World.
>> http://www.modelearth.org/ecosocsused.html
>>

>> If we,
 the people, were really sincere about having real Peace in the
>> world,
>> we would pursue creating Peace by peaceful means more actively rather
>> than by relying on our military might!
>>

>--
>Zack Gold
>Former NBLUG Scribe