[NBLUG/talk] Local Raspberry Pi available for charity fundraiser project?

Allan Cecil ac at sonic.net
Sat Aug 31 12:22:38 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I am taking on an extremely ambitious project to connect a Raspberry Pi to an NES and other gaming consoles for the purpose of sending pre-recorded input to the original hardware.  My ultimate goal is to participate in the AGDQ 2014 yearly charity fundraiser (which has raised over $1M for various charities) and demonstrate what I have working, potentially with 50,000+ live viewers watching.  Here's my original post describing the fundraiser and my goals:

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353915#353915

There is a list of parts I'm looking for in that post, including another Raspberry Pi, NES and SNES controllers, and possibly an Arduino.  I've already made really good progress toward reimplementing an NES controller on a breadboard, with lots of pretty pictures and results from an oscilloscope in the second post:

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354440#354440

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354723#354723

My next steps are to adapt the 3.3 volts from the Pi's GPIO pins to work with the NES's 5 volts safely and write code to work with the WiringPi project to reimplement the shift register in software.  My plan is to present what I have working at an upcoming NBLUG meeting (likely December 10th) to ensure I'm ready for the big demonstration in front of a *lot* more people.  To that end, I'll be posting updates on my progress here every once in a while, and I may occasionally be looking for parts donations.

For my immediate needs, does anyone have a spare Raspberry Pi or old console parts (working or otherwise) they would be willing to part with, either as a donation or for sale?  I'm also accepting Bitcoin donations at 1CknXDyb5jTG1Nw1hs437r6fnz7npBSEfA to help cover travel and parts costs.  Thanks in advance and I'll keep people posted,

A.C.
******