[NBLUG/talk] Lazy as can be

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Fri Feb 1 14:55:51 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:18:51PM -0800, gandalf at sonic.net wrote:
 > Ok, I'm really lazy. I generally don't upgrade servers unless I really, really have to. I've got this server and finding anything for it is a big pain and some of the stuff on it doesn't even work right.
 >
 > It's running debian 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 which is not even a standard lineage install. What it has been doing very, very well for many years is file serving for a windows network, some private web serving, and doing backup services for multiple machines abroad and local.
 >
 > How much of a pain is this to upgrade or should I just go build something and replace it. I think it's running one of the old AMD 3400 CPUs.

I've upgraded Debian countless times.  My current home server/router was
first built in 2003 running Debian 3 "Woody".  Upgrading takes some
time, but it usually goes pretty smoothly if you aren't using a lot of
hand installed/compilied stuff.

What's the output of 'cat /etc/debian_version' ?  Current is 6.0.6.

  Frank Ball  frankb at frankb.us