[NBLUG/talk] Request for info on video cams for protection against burglary

s smith sjs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 25 13:24:38 PDT 2013

On 07/25/2013 11:54 AM, Roger House wrote:
> My neighbor's home was burglarized yesterday.  He's the third or
> fourth burglary victim in our semi-rural area in the last month or
> so.  The burglars seem to be fairly professional, using sophisticated
> equipment to go right through deadbolts.  They also shut the power off
> to my neighbor's house, presumably to defeat any alarm system.
> Needless to say, this has got me worried.
>
> So, I've been thinking about video cams.  I saw a sign recently on a
> nearby road with a happy face on it saying "Smile, you're on camera."
> I've been composing a similar sign saying something like, "If you can
> read this, your face is already on the Internet."  But, I'd like to
> back it up with something real.  I know next to nothing about video
> cams, so I'm requesting ideas and recommendations.

Yesterday I saw these at costco
<http://www.costco.com/Samsung-SmartCam-2-Pack-Security-Cameras.product.100056081.html>.

There are also cheap fake videocams on Amazon that look like they might
be effective.  This link also pulled up a bunch of official looking
'we're watching you' signs.
<http://www.amazon.com/OUTDOOR-SECURITY-CAMERA-Blinking-Silver/dp/B004D8NZ52/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1374783536&sr=8-4&keywords=security+camera>

Sometimes just making it look like you've taken precautions is enough.
After a break-in to my garage a couple of years ago I put up a bunch of
motion-detector security lights and installed an alarm.  The alarm has
gone off once since and it looked like someone had opened a back gate,
but the alarm scared them off.

It sounds like they knew what they were going after...  Good luck.

Steve S.