[NBLUG/talk] Linux setup help

Dan HODUL dhodul at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:52:55 PDT 2013

Yes, thanks, everyone.  I'm obviously out of my depth here, and after visiting my tech friend today, I think I'll now leave this Lenovo alone, at least until I can get a live distro disk, as my burned download asks what I want to open it with, and there are no good choices, unless you want to buy something from the "store".  After some optimization by my friend, this thing is usable for some things I need.
  Now, I need to figure out what is wrong with my backup computer....it's an ASUS ubuntu netbook that no longer connects to the 'net...it just keeps "pending". I bet you guys can advise me on that problem.   If that computer is finished, then I think I'd like to buy another laptop and reformat it for Linux, but I learned today that the new hard drives are OS specific, and if it has Windows 8 on it, I can't get it off to put only Linux on, so I guess I'd just save the HD for a backup and put, possibly, a new solid state HD. Good choice?

I'll stop using the whole NBLUG mailing list and will try to respond to individuals, as I see I'm less tech savvy than I thought!

Thanks again,
DAN