[NBLUG/talk] Which Linux distribution do you use and why?

Kendall Shaw kshaw at kendallshaw.com
Fri Nov 8 10:38:04 PST 2013

I started using Fedora after a long struggle to get my wireless card to
be recognized while using Ubuntu. At the time it was true, and it may
still be true that Fedora's kernel is updated very frequently, so it had
the newer kernel that could use the modules that recognized the wireless
card. Also, the types of advice delivered by frequent volunteers on the
Ubuntu forums was starting to resemble what windows related forums are
like: click this then click that then this happens. And, the pressure to
accept the horrible unity window manager.... and the philosophy behind
pushing it made me leave Ubuntu behind.

I was also surprised to not find any of the dependency problems I had
encountered the last time I had used an rpm based distro.

Fedora seems to me like it is stable, a good environment for developers,
closely tracks new developments and doesn't user friendly you to death.

Kendall

On 11/08/2013 12:52 AM, Zack Gold wrote:
> Yes, I am going to start a discussion about this. But it's only
> because I've been seriously considering switching out of Arch Linux
> and onto a distribution that doesn't have rolling release. Plus I'd
> like something a bit more stable for my Lenovo that will soon come.
>
> So, I'm wondering what Linux distribution you use and why you like it
> so much.
> --
> Zack Gold
> Former NBLUG Scribe