[NBLUG/talk] theft deterrent / security system

steve sjs at sonic.net
Mon Nov 11 10:01:27 PST 2013

On 11/11/2013 09:36 AM, Alan Bloom wrote:
> If you'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel, there are ready-made systems
> that do what you need.  I have a SVAT 4-camera security system installed
> at my house.  $220 on Amazon.

The nice thing about 'reinvinting the wheel' is that you can make it the
size and shape you want :)

I have security stuff on the house I bought off of Amazon and am happy
with it.  But I've also seen several articles lately on Raspberry PI
based security systems in the magazines that specialize in Linux and
Raspberry.  It might be worth some investigation before you decide one
way or the other.

If you get into Santa Rosa, B&N downtown usually has a couple of
magazines on their racks (which is where I think I noticed the article)
and a google of 'rapberry pi security system' brought up a bunch of hits.

Have fun :)

Steve S.