[NBLUG/talk] theft deterrent / security system

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Mon Nov 11 11:48:50 PST 2013

I don't have anything to add to the security camera part of this, but
regarding the wifi range part, I've used Engenius indoor/outdoor access
points to set-up long-range 802.11 "backhauls" at customer locations.
With half-way decent line of sight, I've gotten up to 1 km without any
problems (haven't tried any further).  I know that the equipment
supports far more with external directional antennas.  Generally my
set-up has been two Engenius access points mounted outside, that connect
via ethernet to internal access points or routers.  It's a bit of set-up
and equipment, but has been extremely reliable for me.  I've tried
"range boosters" and that sort of thing, and they've always been
horribly unreliable or not really any better.

Anyway, my two cents..