[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

steve sjs at sonic.net
Sun Oct 6 22:13:34 PDT 2013

On 10/06/2013 07:40 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:
> I also tried to store the .iso file to a CD-ROM but it is 4 or 5 Mbytes
> too large to fit on a CD.
You have to burn to a DVD, but it should install fine from that.

At one point I tried to install 12.04 from a live disk on an old XP
laptop and it wouldn't install.  I think the live-disk didn't handle the
older power management or something.  I finally installed 11.10(I think)
and gave it to a friend who wanted a cheap laptop.

If you need a CD, you're out of luck.  They mentioned that they no
longer support CD installs on their site about 12.04 I think.

You should reach a point in the install where it gives you options and
one is something like 'other' where you will need to tell it which
partition you want the install on and how you want it mounted.

I still have the older DVD's/CD's.  If you need one I could clone it for
you.  I use a usb-dvd now days.  Only the old XP laptop even has a
CD/DVD built in.

Steve S.