[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

Michael Dooley mdooley at sonic.net
Mon Oct 7 22:07:54 PDT 2013

On 10/07/2013 02:36 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:

>> Sounds as if grub might have been installed on your thumb drive. Are you
>> also offered the opportunity to boot to windows in grub or do you just
>> boot into Ubuntu?
>
> No, if I boot without the thumb drive I only get Windows and if I boot
> with the thumb drive I get the "Unetbootin" screen.  If I leave that at
> the default it boots up Ubuntu.  I can tell it must have booted from the
> thumb drive because there is no logon screen.
>
>  From Ubuntu I can see the Windows files and directories in one
> partition and the Ubuntu files and directories in the other.
>
> At least this time I was able to get the computer to turn off by
> shutting down the normal way.
>
> If in the Unetbootin screen I select "Boot from first hard drive" I get
> some kind of command-line screen.  If I type "exit" the computer hangs
> up with this on the screen:
>
> http://n1al.net/music/boot_hd.png
>
> Alan

The fact that your machine boots directly to Windows without the thumb
drive seems to suggest that grub was not installed to the master boot
record on your (only?) hard drive.

However, when in the unetbootin (flash drive) menu and selecting "Boot
from first hard drive" and then getting a busybox screen suggests
something else - what, I'm not sure.

My gut feeling is that grub was not installed to your hard drive but
somewhere else. And according to most recent message, removing the thumb
drive renders Ubuntu useless so therefore, you are not actually booting
into your hard drive install.

You need to (1) install grub to your hard drive, presumably sda. And
then you need to (2) update grub so that it detects both your Windows
partition and your Ubuntu partition. Feel like going on with this so
late in the evening?

--
Michael