[NBLUG/talk] My Server Ideas

Walter Hansen whansen at corporate-image.com
Sun Apr 27 00:03:08 PDT 2014

I've been out of love with Raid for sometime. At fist I thought that
driving a nail through one drive would keep it going. Well sorta,
sometimes. But probably not. Twin raid drives often fail on the same
day. And suppose a drive gets corrupted, what are the odds that the
other drive just mirrors the corruption. One drive fails, just boot the
other right....maybe.

Of course performance still works and I have set up a pair of 10k drives
to provide pre-ssd extreme performance.

Anyway these days my ideas are more like this:

Primary SSD drive with LVM
Secondary (larger) drive no LVM also used for backups of other systems.
Once a day or so make a snapshot of the primary and do a rsync of the
primary.
The plan even includes hot swappable tertiary drives the same size as
the secondary for backup.

However I'd like to make the secondary drive bootable so if the primary
fails it could be unhooked and the system would boot of the secondary
without issue. Then just build a new primary and replace it. I'm
thinking that a secondary fstab like fstab.secondary setup for the
alternate boot which doesn't have the LVM setup but the partition setup
for the secondary. Then just go in and rename fstab fstab.primary and
rename fstab.secondary fstab, then boot off the secondary.

The primary has a a stock CENTOS partition setup with / and /home on
separate partitions. For the secondary I setup a boot partition, swap (I
figured it should have that to boot/run) and a main partition.

I did a dd from the primary /boot to the secondary /boot but was unable
to install a master boot record on the secondary drive. I tried using dd
to copy it. Then I tried to use grub to do it. Both failed and I managed
to corrupt the main grub and had to do a rescue fix for my efforts. The
tricky bit is probably that the setup for the secondary will have it
booting as sda or drive 0.

Hmmm I wonder if I could have the grub on the secondary boot go in and
pull up the secondary fstab.

I think I tried doing something like this with RAID1 before but never
could get it to work.

The primary drive is under constant use. The secondary drive has light
usage. I could probably even set it to spin down for even lighter use.
This setup hopefully avoids the RAID1 double death syndrome (although
I'm actually using separate technology for the drives.

So am I nuts? Does this make sense?