[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04->14.04 upgrade gone awry

Mitch Patenaude patenaude at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 20:57:33 PDT 2014

I don't know why I always forget how painful the upgrade process is, but
I've managed to once again render my ubuntu machine almost unusable, and
I'm hoping that somebody here can help.

I'll spare you the details other than to say after much hacking about with
apt-* and dpkg I've managed to make it boot, and can even get into a window
manager by setting the defaults to kdm and kde.  The problem is that I
don't like KDE, and would much rather use some gnome based desktop, but
they all wedge on login.  I can't find anything useful in /var/log/Xorg.log
or /var/log/syslog.

I've tried removing (well, moving to a different directory) ~/.gnome* and
~/.gtk*, but that didn't help.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
  - Mitch