[NBLUG/talk] talk Digest, Vol 122, Issue 6

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:52:38 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Mr. Jan Hearthstone
<hearthstone11 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't intend to travel, I am stationary; besides, I have not noticed any RJ45 ports on this Netgear PR2000-100NAS Trek N300 Travel Router...

Hmm...maybe it's the angle that it was photographed at, but I thought
it did have RJ45 ports.  And if it doesn't, there are similar devices
you could try; I just linked to that one because it was the first one
I found at a reasonable price.

> An alternative for me would be to go straight from the router (supplying my existing WiFi), situated in a building about 400' away from my hut, to my hut with an Ethernet cable, but--how long can an Ethernet cable can be before starting loosing signal noticeably?
> Could I go with such a cable into my router (as I need separate sources for my laptop, MagicJack+, PC ...)?

Ethernet cabling is rated for 100 meters (about 328 feet), so you'd be
at the edge of what's supposed to work.  I suspect it would still work
over longer distances, but you might start to see some dropped
packets.

If it doesn't work over that distance, you could install a repeater
somewhere along the way (so that the total length on both sides of the
repeater is less than 100 meters), as long as you can get power to
wherever the repeater ends up.  I'm pretty sure that such things
exist, but a quick search does not turn one up as readily as the
aforementioned wireless bridge.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>