[NBLUG/talk] talk Digest, Vol 122, Issue 6

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Sat Jun 14 15:45:00 PDT 2014

On 06/13/2014 12:27 PM, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> I don't intend to travel, I am stationary; besides, I have not noticed
> any RJ45 ports on this Netgear PR2000-100NAS Trek N300 Travel
> Router... An alternative for me would be to go straight from the
> router (supplying my existing WiFi), situated in a building about 400'
> away from my hut, to my hut with an Ethernet cable, but--how long can
> an Ethernet cable can be before starting loosing signal noticeably?
> Could I go with such a cable into my router (as I need separate
> sources for my
*snip*

IMHO if you can run a cable, do it. Less variables to mess with, it's
just plain faster and more stable, and more secure too. Plus, it's very
satisfying hearing that little *click* when you plug in an RJ-45 jack.

CAT[5[e] | 6] Ethernet standards gives you 100 meters or 328 (?) feet.
So technically you'd need a repeater (a powered workgroup switch would
be fine) somewhere in there. Who knows, maybe you could get away with a
single run though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat5e

Cheers,
Jordan