[NBLUG/talk] SSD failure rates and RAID

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Sat Dec 5 11:07:02 PST 2015

I'm putting together a new server and wondering if I should bother with
RAID.  I'm thinking that SSD failure rates are down to below 1% per
year, probably around the same as or even lower than motherboard and
power supply failure rates.  Am I just creating more complexity by using
RAID?

As an alternative for backup/redundancy, I'm thinking of having a
standby server that gets mirrored every few minutes.  That would give me
redundancy for the entire system, not just the disk.

Anybody have any experience/thoughts on this?  The server I'm thinking
of will be using two 2 TB ssds and the backup server one 4 gb hard drive.

Thanks,

Omar