[NBLUG/talk] User Fun - No Names

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 22:26:34 PST 2015

My first real support job yielded a couple of winners. My favorite:
Nice lady on the phone needed help with [reinstalling,data error] and paused to reveal she was in her home office.
Yelling at her toddler, "Get off of that CD drive or your daddy's going to spank me!"

Second favorite, but way cooler:
I shadowed an experienced tech on a game problem. I think it was "USS Ticonderoga", had an MS-DOS version issue, which needed JOIN, missing in v6. Tech on phone to client:
"Yes, sir. We need to create a file called JOIN.exe. MS-DOS no longer has it, you will need it to run the game. I'll walk you through the process. Now type what I tell you, it's critical you don't miss a step.
You're at a prompt? Okay. Now type copy con join.exe and press enter. That's right.
Now type apofilofika, here I'll spell it out a.p.o.f.i.l.o.f.i.k.a. Yes. You see, Bill Gates had a dog when he was a boy, and he was very sad when it died. So the MS-DOS programs all remember the dog's name. Done? Now hold the left control button and type the letter Z. Now press enter. Can you run the game? Good. Thanks for calling!"

Oh hey. If you're that client, please note that odd sound in the background of the call was me trying to stifle outright laughter.
C. Mike Rice
KF7VZZ at gmail.com
dolo724 at yahoo.com