[NBLUG/talk] What's the status of IPV6?

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Wed May 6 11:09:45 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 10:21:50AM -0700, gandalf at sonic.net wrote:
 > I'm not sure how it helps much with a typical home as it's going to
 > have one real IP address even if it's dynamic. They could trace it
 > back to a physical address easily and then how many machines were
 > in use at that time. A large business is a bit more anonymous. Also
 > I'm pretty sure that NATing will still work with IPV6 even though
 > it's largely unnecessary. With IPV6 you really wouldn't even need a
 > router as a switch would do the trick, but I think most folks would
 > still use one due to the fire walling abilities.

Linux ip6tables has no NAT capability.  I still need a router because I
want a firewall between my private network and the world, but your
right, it will work without it.  You also need a router to dynamically
assign IPv6 addresses from your /64 network using radvd.

Do "apt-get install miredo" and your box will be sitting on the IPv6 internet directly.

   E Frank Ball          frankb at frankb.us