[NBLUG/talk] Is this funny?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:37:46 PST 2015

Funny, yes; maybe sad, too.  BUT, recall that many of these systems
require complex, software-driven "orderly shutdowns" and can
potentially be harmed by a hardware-based power-off.

I actually blame the system-dev and/or UI-design team(s), who should
have offered (at least these) explicit choices:
 - Screenlock (do not logout, keep all programs running)
 - Logout (close user-programs, do not shut down)
 - Shutdown (close user programs, close GUI, close OS, power off)

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM,  <gandalf at sonic.net> wrote:
> In a leaving survey. These are Linux thin client Ubuntu systems. Perhaps I'm
> reading too much into this, as if you do select shutdown from the menu it
> just goes to a logon screen.
>
> "I wish I could turn off my desk computer, in order to save energy - but I
> did not find how to do so."
>
> Ummm, the power button?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown up."      -CS Lewis