[NBLUG/talk] new computer (alas!)

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Mon Oct 19 13:16:21 PDT 2015

If you're running a server that has to handle lots of different
processes, you probably want to look at overall performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I find AMDs to be cheaper and less quirky than Intel, but for very high
performance AMD doesn't come close to Intel.

If you have to run a particular app that doesn't make use of
multi-threading, then look at single thread performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Unless you're an ISP, Google, or do lots of number crunching, most
people don't need a high end CPU.

I had to spec out a CAD machine recently that had good single thread
performance because Autocad can use at most 2 threads at a time.

Omar