[NBLUG/talk] Postfix mail routing

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Fri Sep 11 12:51:06 PDT 2015

Does anybody know how Postfix will route mail if a user doesn't exist on
one of the local machine's domains?

I'm trying to set up GMail for business to handle "split delivery." Some
of the addresses get handled by GMail and some get handled by my
server.  I'm wondering what will happen if my Postfix server sees an
email address that doesn't exist for my domain on that server. This will
happen when local users send mail through it as a relay. Will it send it
along to the proper MX record server, GMail, or will it send it back an
error?

I know I can try this, and I will do it over the weekend regardless, but
I was wondering if anybody knows what to expect.

Thanks,

Omar