[NBLUG/talk] libreboot => X60

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sat Sep 19 01:04:23 PDT 2015

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:32:05PM -0700, Alex Kleider wrote:
> I thought I'd bricked it but not yet!
>
> I tried the first stage: output had what Kyle documented as the
> 'good bit' but the 'scary bit' wasn't quite what he described.
> After that it wouldn't boot until taken apart and temporarily
> detached from what I assume to be the CMOS battery (and the date
> reset in bios set up.)
>
> The second stage didn't go through at all:
> Mode selected: i945lenovo_secondflash
> flashrom v0.9.8-unknown on Linux 3.19.0-15-generic (i686)
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at
> http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH7M".
> Enabling flash write... WARNING: SPI Configuration Lockdown activated.
> OK.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.
> Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found
> automatically.
> bucts utility version 'withoutgit'
> Using LPC bridge 8086:27b9 at 0000:1f.00
> Current BUC.TS=0 - 128kb address range 0xFFFE0000-0xFFFFFFFF is
> untranslated
> Not writing BUC register since TS is already correct.
>
> I'm using lubuntu 2015.04 on the X60; should I have
> "applied the x60flashscript.patch" before the first flash?
> I'm not sure exactly what that means or how to do
> it if it needs to be done.
>
> Advice on where to go from here would be appreciated.  My sense is
> that I should go back and repeat the first flash but don't know
> about the patching business.
> cheers,
> Alex
> ps sending this from the X60- it's running lubutu just fine.

Yes you definitely should have stopped once the first flash didn't
work--the second flash won't work if the first one didn't. And like you
suspected, you should apply the x60flashscript.patch first and see if
things work better. I suspect that's why the first flash didn't work. I'm
just glad that removing the CMOS battery worked.

Here's the official libreboot docs, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing
all of this strictly from my talk since I condensed things to fit my
slides (even though it should work). Instead I'd suggest checking out the
official docs here:
http://libreboot.org/docs/install/index.html#flashrom_lenovobios

--
Kyle Rankin