[NBLUG/talk] target

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Wed Nov 30 10:30:36 PST 2016

On 2016-11-29 13:12, Rick Moen wrote:

snip

> # mount | grep sdc  ##Make sure the thumb drive is unmounted before
> proceeding
> # cp /tmp/debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdc
>
> Note that the target should be the block device as a whole.  (You
> should
> use whatever device _your_ kernel reports, not necessarily /dev/sdc.)
>
> Also, in case it wasn't obvious, that cp operation will overwrite the
> target (which I'm sure you realise, and accounts for your commendable
> caution about making sure of the target).
>
> Happy Debianing!
>
> [1] The dmesg logfile, the kernel's ring buffer, is actually ASCII and
> kept in a rotated set of archived copies as /var/log/dmesg[.N][.gz] .
> So, you can just do 'less /var/log/dmesg' instead of using dmesg(1), if
> you prefer..

Clarification please.

Did you mean 'umount' rather than 'mount?
I would have used umount /dev/sdc1
I don't understand what exactly is done by piping mount (or umount) into
grep sdc.
I would have used dd rather than cp- I was under the impression that cp
only copies files, not 'bare metal' data.

Any comments appreciated.
Alex