[NBLUG/talk] Data recovery recommendations

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:42:19 PST 2017

Hello,

A client of mine dropped an external hard drive while it was running.
Windows is still able to recognize the partition, but is unable to open
some directories containing important files.

I could try ddrescue on it, but I'm scared of making the damage worse if
the drive platters are out of alignment. (Maybe I'm being overly paranoid?)

I recommended taking the drive to a dedicated data recovery service, and my
client asked if I know anyone who will do data recovery "cheaply".

Since I've never had to use any of these services myself (fingers crossed!)
I thought I'd ask around for recommendations. Has anyone here had a good
experience with an affordable data recovery service?

William Tracy
Sent from mobile, may contain typos.