[NBLUG/talk] Why have directories in /var/run if they're not persistent through reboot?

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Jul 31 09:35:44 PDT 2017

On 07/31/2017 12:06 AM, Tom Most wrote:
> I'll take a moment to node that pidfiles are not usually necessary on a
> modern Linux system: under systemd there is no need to bother with them,
> as init tracks the process directly.

"modern Linux system" -- Them's fightin' words ;} Truly I can think of a
*couple* of modern distros who use an init system that doesn't attempt
to usurp the entirety of what small pieces working well together have
been accomplishing for many, many years.

Case in point:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/24/underscore_domain_name_bug/

(and yes, I know it's a library dependency which creates this bug - IMHO
the choice to use it was still ultimately chosen by systemd team.

> all hail systemd

RMS called, he wants his religion back.

But in all seriousness, and sorry for taking the thread a bit OT -
"modern system" is to "systemd" as "modern OS" and "Windows 10" is. To
simply accept systemd as the new standard in Linux init systems  is
premature as it hasn't proven itself as a true init system (in my eyes,
due to it's consistent bugs, vulns, feature creep and the, "not my
problem, you fix yours" attitude of it's core developers when dealing
with issues brought to their attention). Maybe, in time, if maturity and
understanding of the open source ecosystem sets in with Pottering & Co.,
my perspective will change. But I haven't seen any hint of that yet.