2 macs and a linux on a LAN

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Fri Aug 4 18:12:07 PDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 06:09:01PM +0100, John F. Kohler wrote:
> Once again, I have to exhibit my ignorance...
>
> What I must do to add those values to that file is to edit the file, right?
>
> I still need to learn how to edit a file using command line options.

Well...  you run an editor... vi, emacs, joe, jove...  hmmm...

I have another idea...

Log in as root.  Run "netconfig".

If BOOTP or DHCP is available, tell it to use that.  (You seemed to indicate
it might be)  Otherwise fill in the IP address, Netmask, Default gateway
(IP), Primary Nameserver and anything else it asks you for.  Those 4 are the
most important, though.

(Or you could run "netcfg", which has a graphical (X) interface, click on
"Routing" and put in the IP address for your router in the "Default Gateway"
field.  (Then click "Save", etc.))
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell