"funny" ASUS P5A-B-AT motherboard

Bob Blick bblick at saber.net
Fri Aug 4 10:27:02 PDT 2000

Thanks for the replies, I've made some progress.

Running loadlin like this:

loadlin vmlinuz mem=96M root=/dev/hdc5 ro

Gave me 96 megs of ram. I thought I'd tried this combination before but
maybe position in the line is important, but this works. Thanks!

Still no luck with lilo. But every time I run lilo I would get a report
like this:

/dev/hdb reports 0 bytes and 10000000 bytes (or something like that)
That line and another one would repeat a few times before the usual:
added linux *
added dos

The message was about the ATAPI Zip drive and that seemed strange because
neither /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab have reference to the zip drive, so I am
assuming lilo tries to map my drives.

I disconnected the zip drive and tried again, this time lilo just gave me:
added linux *
added dos

However I still get stuck at LI at boot. "linear" was in lilo.conf, but
removing it(this was something I'd tried before) didn't cure it. Here's my
lilo.conf currently:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdc5

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

Changing boot=/dev/hda to boot=/hda1 didn't make lilo work any better, but
made removing lilo a little harder, since running MSDOS fdisk /mbr would no
longer replace it, I had to run the MSDOS sys command also. Lilo is
definitely writing to the disk in all the right places :-)

I am wondering about "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0". Is lilo getting
confused where /boot is located, and somehow thinks it's on hda? Just a
thought.

Thanks,

Bob Blick