2 macs and a linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 4 01:31:48 PDT 2000

Hello, again, everyone!

I removed the kingston PCI ethernet card and took a step
backward to an NE2000
compatible card by Accton.  This is an ISA card, and also
comes with a DOS floppy
for testing and setting.  The default IRQ was 3 and I think
that belongs to my serial
port and modem line, and so I changed it to 10.  The I/O was
0x300 and I changed it to
0x240 for a reason I don't recall.

Linux then detected the card on rebooting, and I could then
perform a successful "insmod"
to get the kernel (2.2.14-5.0) to recognize the card and
LAN.

Something is still missing.

I can ping the both macintosh computers from the Linux box.
I can ping the router (192.168.1.1) from the Linux box.  I
can ping the router and linux box from one of
the macintosh machines.

I cannot get the Netscape Communicator to get past the LAN
out to the ISP, however. Netscape generates 2 dialog boxes
which I don't understand.

First:

Netcape error...

Netscape is unable to locate the server sfpl.lib.ca.us.
Please check the server name and try again.  Using
previously cached copy instead.

Second:

Netscape errorP

Warning: The following hosts are unknown"

    home.netscape.com
home6.netscape.com
internic.net

This means that some or all  hosts are unreachable.

perhaps there is a problem with your name server?
If your site must use a non-root nameserver, you will
need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point
at the appropriate name server.  It may (or may not)
be necessary to set this variable or the SOCKS host
preference, to the IP address of the host inquestion rather
than its name.

consult your system administrater

(OK)

The problem is, for the LAN in my house, I am the system
administrator.

John