installfest?

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Mon Jan 31 10:52:45 PST 2000

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 08:34:14PM -0800, mitch utsey wrote:
> 	When will be the next Installfest? The Dec alpha my buddy gave me is on
> the way (as is the complete set of Redhat for the Alpha) and I am really
> looking forward to playing with it. I figured others might be interested
> in playing with it too. The Alpha is a 150 mhz is Jensen, so it will be
> a REAL adventure...

	The next installfest is planned, scheduled, and I've completely
forgotten when it actually is.  Dustin seems able to keep track of that
stuff, so perhaps he or someone else who writes things down will pipe up.

	Just completed an Alpha install myself (one of the castoff UDB
Multias that DEC made lots of before realizing that what they were trying to
crack is called the "x86 market" for a reason).  Everything that goes well
or badly about an Alpha install seems to do so because of MILO, the
AlphaLinux bootloader.  Debian, at least, does not automate this part, and
its documentation, while helpful after three or four readings, does not
translate directly since it doesn't include the level to which you are
required to harass the ARC firmware to boot the thing.  There is also
something fundamentally annoying about being obligated to have a DOS
partition on an Alpha, which I think bears to a significant degree on the
"Copyright (c) 1993 Microsoft Corporation" that flicks by at startup.

	Not sure how much of that applies outside the Multia/noname boxes,
though.  Sofar mine's been fairly satisfying, and produces enough heat to
dry my socks on through in the recent rains.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, finger for PGP;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++