Networking: topic of discussion at nblug?

Mike dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sat Jan 22 15:48:57 PST 2000

Hello Everyone,

There was an announcement a while bacak letting us know that there was
going to be a discussion of some networking issues at the next few NBLUG
meetings.

For a long time, I have been unhappy with many books, web pages, and
resources that try to explain the ISO OSI 7-Layer Model. Many of them only
offer a brief, or incomplete review. Some actually get some parts wrong
(E.G. A Networking Essentials book for people to pass the MCNE.)

There are a few good resources out there on networking, but are not as
descriptive as I would like.

Being unhappy with (insert an item here) often provides a desire to build
a better (insert same item here). So, I have been working at writing a web
page that better describes this well known networking model as well as
other concepts.

http://libweb.sonoma.edu/mike/networking/netmodels/isoosi7layermodel.html

It may be helpful to read this to better understand networking from a
general point of view. This theory may help to understand the topics being
discussed at the meetings.

In addition, an incomplete review of a 5-layer model (often used to
describe TCP/IP) can be found here:

http://libweb.sonoma.edu/mike/networking/netmodels/tcpip5layermodel.html

(These pages are being created and updated daily.)

If you find an error in my documents, or do not think I have explained
something with enough detail, or find general faults with these, please
send an e-mail directly to me. Include in your e-mail your choice on
allowing me to publish your name and/or e-mail address for your
suggestions to the relative sections. (I like to offer proper credit to
sources that are willing to be identified.) In most of my on-line
documents, people's comments or partial comments are included in the paper
itself where they have disagreement or comment, not as a side mark at the
end. (This can be seen in the very old document I created for a friend;s
Fujitsu Laptop 790 :

http://libweb.sonoma.edu/mike/fujitsu/

and the paper on reverse engineering the net booting procedures for the
newer macintoshes to make them boot from a Linux box instead of a Mac OS
X Server:

http://libweb.sonoma.edu/mike/macnc/

Thanks,
-M