telnet question

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Jul 19 16:00:21 PDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 03:19:08PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Ive got a redhat linux box setup here running 6.1 running smb &
> apache ive been troubleshooting a problem with my telnet access and
> would like some suggestions from you all.
>
> As it sits now I am unable to connect to port 23 with any telnet program
> and I dont believe its related to my rc.firewall script or identd.conf
> everything looks good from that point. can anyone tell me exactly what
> services need to be running in order for TELNET to accept connections?
> Or possibly what I could check for to rule out a complete reinstall..??
> thx David Johnson

As others have said, ssh is a better option for most--but not all--uses.

Well.. first, from the box running the telnet daemon, try to telnet to
the loopback address (127.0.0.1), and if that doesn't work, then it's
most likely that the telnet daemon isn't running (in.telnetd won't be
running in most cases, because inetd is handling that port.

So:

Check to see that the telnet line in /etc/inted.conf isn't commented out.
	grep "^telnet" /etc/inetd.conf

Check to see if inetd is running.
	ps aux | grep inetd | grep -v grep

Check that someone/something is listening on that port.
	netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep telnet

If  those check out, then it gets uglier...

Check /var/log/messages for error starting inetd/telnetd.

Check your routing tables.
	netstat -rn

If you're using IP Masquerading or ipchains, check your input and output
chain rulesets.

Hmm.. that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

   -- Mitch