About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 18 06:54:34 PDT 2000

Thanks, again.  I need to re-state my problem, again, hopefully to show
a little
learning here and display my ignorance gaps.

What I am trying to do, I think, is to have the Linux box recognize, and
be recognized by the LinkSys (tm) router (address of 192.168.1.1) that
is connected to my DSL service.  Since I have 2 macintosh computers
(192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3) I think I could assign, manually, the
address of 192.168.1.4 to the linux.

I have an ethernet card in the linux back-panel, (Kingston KNE110TX)
which without driver software (tulip) is just another pretty circuit
board.

 Several drivers for Kingston cards ( de4x5, ne, ne2k-pci, tulip, and
rt8139), and tulip is included in my distribution of Red hat Linux 6.2
but, at first, I did not know how to invoke it.  Now I do, with the
command,  insmod tulip.  __But__ that only happens after I have booted
the kernal.

Now, I have to teach the kernal that tulip is there to connect to the
eth0 and the necessary addresses (on the LAN for my router, and on my
ISP for the rest of the planet).

Here is where I am getting hazy.  I know several configuration tools,
"netcfg&"  "netconf&" and "control-panel&" (Linuxconf can be used, also,
I think),but what information to put where in any of these setups, is
hazy.

Where I think I want to go, is to the point that I am with "ppp0"

Since I was instructed by Earthlink, I have known how to setup a dialer,
with password, phone number, data rate and the rest so I could invoke
ppp0 from the command line:

/sbin/ifup ppp0

Do I want to arrive at a point where I can enter from the command line:

/sbin/ifup eth0

and immediately start my Netscape browser from the GNOME tool bar or
an x-term command line?

Once again, I appreciate all the patience all of you have exhibited with
me as I struggle
through this.

John