About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Tue Jul 18 01:53:09 PDT 2000

I get home, and what do I find? It looks like Scott Doty solved John's
problem!

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> Just now, I tried to exercise    eth0
>
> /sbin/ifup eth0
>
> answer was:
> SIOCADDRT: File exists
> SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument.

For now ignore that error. Try running some network applications from your
linux box and see how they work.

With the "eth0" interface there, your networking control panels and other
tools should work as you might expect.

 From the conversation between you and Scott Doty, I think he has helped
you fix your problem, and if it is not fixed yet, his message outlines to
necessary steps to resolving it. Follow the answer outlined by him on
editing the /etc/conf.modules file as he directed and you should soon be
in business.

If you do not resolve these issues, then every reboot will require a
manual insmod of the tulip module, and then a re-running of the ifup eth0
script as root. Spending the time to do it right and make it work on each
reboot is highly advised.

-

modprobe checks the dependencies in /etc/conf.modules and appears to have
disliked the settings stated for use with the tulip module.

insmod does not car about dependencies, and just "loads the dang module."
The can sometimes cause problems when one module's loading requires
another module to be loaded first, and can set some defaults for the
module in passed variable.

By editing the /etc/conf.modules as he has directed, a future reboot is
very likely to allow modprobe to work, and then in turn cause your
network interface to come up and work as it should be working now.

Scott's message probably saved the other list members another 2 to 4 more
e-mail exchanges in troubleshooting. This directions and "forced" module
more e-mails to get there...

Thanks Scott for saving us time, energy, bandwidth, keystrokes and getting
to the heart of the problem,

-ME