About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 17 11:46:47 PDT 2000

E Frank Ball wrote:

> } Thanks,  there is a lot of information to absorb here.
> } I am particularly grateful for your discussion of the "root" level
> } versus the "user" level of operations. I admit being vague on the
> } notions, other than being sure about the power of root.
> } John
>
> Fix your path for both root and the regular user.  In the long run
> things will be a easier.

I think I know about a couple of editors:  vi and emacs

> Edit .bash_profile (in the home directory for both root and the normal
> user) and find where the PATH is set.  Add the sbin paths:

I don't really know how to open a directory or file needint editing
and making the necessary changes, though.

> PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> export PATH
>
> If there isn't anything, then just add what I put above.

When that is added to the file or directory, what is the effect?
Is it possible for me to work at the root level and the user level at the
same time?

John