About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 16 22:38:16 PDT 2000

ME wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > I had to use /sbin/ifconfig eth0 and  tot the following:
> >
> > eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found
>
> OK, so still no device.
>
> > Better luck on this one:
> [module list chopped]
>
> I do not see the tulip module/driver here, which may explain why the
> interface is not detected.
>
> [IRQ list chopped]
>
> OK, I don't see IRQ 11 in use by other detected hadrware
>
> [cat ioports list chopped]
>
> No reference to eth0 - no surprise as it was not detected with ifconfig.
>
> > > # uname -a
> > Linux    jfkhost 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar7 20:53:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown
>
> OK, it is a modern enough kernel that you would expect the module to work
> fine.
>
> > I need to play with the dos utility more.  Actually I was surprised I could run it
> > starting
> > from a windows floppy and placing the utility in the floppy drive.

I did restart the pd with the dos system disk and try the "Q-start" program
again.  What it does is test the ethernet card and tries to install a dos driver
for the internet card.  Consequently, I just used the first part of the program.

I learned  the I/O is 6000   (which I think is a hexadecimal address)
    irq =11  (which I had seen before)
 Media  is 100BaseTx (which must be the high speed option)
Mode is Full Duplex

ethernet card tests were performed and all passed:

register test
checksum test
interrupt test
internal loopback test

Beyond that, I decided nothing more could be done since I am not running
the etherrnet card with a DOS/Windows95 machine.

> Good deal...
>
> Next time you are in linux try the following as root:
>
> # depmod -a

result was: command not found

> # modprobe tulip debug=6

result was : command not found.

Should I have changed directory to execute the above commands?

> Is any error reported here?
> If yes, please include information here...
> If no, or yes, then once again try:
>
> # ifconfig eth0

result was command not found.

I think I should not be doing the command from the root directory, but usr or bin or
something

> Does it offer the same error as before, or an output of information?
>
> If you *do* see useful output (not an error, but good data) then try
> and issue the ifdown/ifup commands E Frank Ball offered:
>
> # /sbin/ifdown eth0
> # /sbin/ifup eth0

neither worked

> If those work, then try to ping your bound IP address for the linux box.
> # ping 192.168.1.4

I did not try it since the above did not work.